Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Weekend Getaway–The One Where I Pass my First Kidney Stone

As you may or may not know, I am going back to school for a complete career change.  It is a long story, but perhaps I will post one of my essays (for my school application or my scholarship) here to explain it soon.

I have been going up to George Williams College of Aurora University in Williams Bay, Wisconsin (near Lake Geneva) pursuing a Masters in Social Work for several weekends since late August 2011.  I am almost finished with my second semester.

This past weekend Jason came up on Saturday after my class to spend an overnight in Lake Geneva with me for fun.

As you can see, the campus at GWC is quite boring.  There is a lake (Lake Geneva), lots of trees, birds, squirrels and beautiful buildings.  It is just sheer torture going up there on the weekends without the kids and spending time with a group of intellectually stimulating, caring adults led by a joyous, experienced (he’s written many social work textbooks) professor.

Yes I’m kidding.  It is AWESOME to go there on weekends!  It has been a wonderful experience both academically, personally, and socially.

20120421-georgewilliamskidneystoneweekend 002-2

George Williams Campus, lake view.

george-williams-college-lake-geneva

Source: Lake Geneva Estates

I don’t have many other photos from the weekend, but we did drive by the Yerkes Observatory in Williams Bay.  By the way, this observatory was featured in the movie Chain Reaction, starring Keanu Reeves and Morgan Freeman.  It was closed and tours were over, but there was some very ornate, intricately detailed architecture that we could not resist photographing.  I would really love to get inside someday.  For now…  Enjoy!

Here is the front of the building.  I did not even get any of the observatory domes, what was I thinking?

20120421-georgewilliamskidneystoneweekend 008

OK, found this stock photo from http://astro.uchicago.edu/yerkes/.

yo_2

This handsome carving was one of the details on a pillar.  Like the mustache?

20120421-georgewilliamskidneystoneweekend 011

Very Cool Pillars.

20120421-georgewilliamskidneystoneweekend 012

I really liked this depictions of 4 states of the moon.  Complete with the man on the moon. I love the moon.  My favorite saying to my kids:  I love you to the moon and back.

20120421-georgewilliamskidneystoneweekend 020

Cute Owls!  This architect had some good taste.

20120421-georgewilliamskidneystoneweekend 023

On Saturday we had a nice time walking together, eating lunch by the bay, enjoying the shops and sharing appetizers for dinner.

Early Sunday morning I woke up with some “concerns”.  “Concerns” turned into pain.  Pain turned into unbearable PAIN.  An hour later I broke down and woke up Jason.  We packed up and rushed to the ER.  After all was said and done, we found out I was in the process of passing a kidney stone.  My CT scan showed there were many other stones in my kidneys (yes both!) and 2 were on the largish side.  When we got home I took a nap and woke up with all pain gone.  Not much longer.  The stone… she passed.  I had to “catch” her with a strainer.  She was ugly.  Yesterday I introduced myself to a whole new specialty of doctors.  Urologists.

Take home messages to friends and readers: Drink LOTS OF WATER.  Encourage your children to drink lots of water.

Passing a kidney stone (mine was 4 mm) is slightly worse than labor pain.

I am so grateful for the outpouring of support, both words of empathy and offers to help.  It is good to know that we have such wonderful caring friends and family.

Now.  Go drink a glass of water.

Stay tuned for a post on a craft!  Sqeeeeee, it has been a while!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the kidney stones. My dad actually was hospitalized when he was in Germany with kidney stones. No fun at all. Here's hoping more water does the trick! Hope you're feeling better, too.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so happy that you visited. I'd love to hear from you if you have a comment or just want say "Hi".

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...